Monday 9 May 2016

OUGD505: Studio Brief 2 - Research: Poster Inspiration

OUGD505: Studio Brief 2/ Product, Range and Distribution  

Research: Poster Inspiration 

Knowing my resolution would typically feature some form of poster of poster series to communicated my intended message, I chose to analyse a range of posters I found inspiring and aesthetics that engaged me as a designer and strongly communicate their intended messages. 

The first example that particular inspired me was a poster series created by Motoi Shito for the Japan University of Economics. I like the bold use of colour and illustrative qualities of the work that reflect elements from my own practice. Unable to find the reasoning behind the design inspiration my interpretation is that is takes the origins of the pie chart (commonly used within economics) and creates a range of playful variants that blend colour shape and pattern effectively into a single design. The use of overlays works well especially with the bi-lingual requirements of the poster to confidently articulate the information and engage its audience. 


The second poster analysed was an exhibition poster for the Berlin Showroom, Paris for a 2013 exhibition into the science of Fashion. The aesthetic is inspired by the periodic table which elements-a creative way to look representative of the exhibition. I like the aesthetic of the poster as it is typically high fashion, instantly engaging the target audience and prompting clues as to the posters content before reading any of the content. The neutrals within the background work to accent the model and her pose contrasts the rigidity of the contemporary modernist aesthetic. I like this aesthetic however feel it may be less appropriate for the social issue being discussed within my project and as though this aesthetic will not engage my target audience as effectively as it targets a high fashion audience. 


Shifting my focus to more ethical design posters I was engaged by the Occupy movements poster series, This example created by Dave Lowenstein references the financial crash of 2007 depicting a man in a business suit and pocket watch (creating connotations of a luxurious upper class lifestyle) with the anonymous mask that has become representative of the movement. Many of the Occupy poster designs could be downloaded from specially set up websites for anyone to print out and use in demonstrations demonstrating an awareness of distribution. I like the bold and invasive aesthetic of the poster the thick black lines create a dynamic and revolutionary aesthetic that will evoke conditioned responses my the target audience and will work effectively when used in protests. 


These posters comprise of vastly different messages and aesthetics that inspired me as a creative, analysing the different uses of imagery and message have allowed me to more critically consider audience and distribution to ensure these are approbate to my own project as this will considerable impact the success of my resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment