Monday 9 May 2016

OUGD505: Studio Brief 2 - Initial Design Directions: Feedback

OUGD505: Studio Brief 2/ Product, Range and Distribution  

Initial Design Directions: Feedback

For peer feedback I was asked to write a series of specific questions we wanted in-depth feedback on, this feedback was anonymous therefore would be more honest and reflective of the work thus far. I wrote a small concept explanation at the top of the feedback form to give a brief insight to my concept which would allow a more appropriate critique of the different design directions. 'A campaign promoting local and sustainable produce over mass produce, distributed through 'the Hawarden farm shop'; a small independent company in Hawarden, Wales.' 


Q1/ At present I'm just experimenting with different design treatments and directions, which aesthetic do you find the most engaging? WHY?? 

This was the most important aspect of feedback I wanted clarified by peers as it would work towards defining the direction for the rest of my campaign. It was clearly identified the treatment 3 was the most well-received by peers with some consideration for treatment 1 also. Comments advocating 3 as the most engaging and appropriate included; 

'1+3 like the use of food based imagery' 
'3 - you could take the illustrative style further across different food types, really clean and appealing' 
'aesthetic of 1 and 3 work the best - they're the most relevant and feel more relatable, the shades of oranges/yellows work nicely as they just feel more organic and reflect sustainability.  

Tutors said at the start of the project they wanted to see personality through the practical resolutions and I feel treatment 3 is more reflective of my style and the type of design I like at the moment. This also links in well to my research as a large proportion of the food packaging and campaigns I analysed featured forms of illustrations therefore it is already pre-identiifed that this aesthetic appeals to a similar target audience to my own. 

Q2/ What forms of promotion + advertising would be most effective to extend the project ? At present I'm considering posters , tote bags, flyers, what else ??

This would help identify different collateral components I would incorporate into my adverting campaign that would work effectively. There was a high volume of responses advocating I develop a packaging series however am questioning the feasibility of this as many of the farm shop products are concessionary from other local suppliers which already have their own branding. To further this I think people assumed I'm re-branding the farm shop which I'm not just creating a promotion capping therefore suggestions to develop a new logo, signage etc would be inappropriate as the farm shop already has a well established identity that I will incorporate into the campaign as it. Although I would not create bespoke packaging I could develop a form of carrier bag or small sticker to place on the existing packaging that subtly ties it to my campaign along the likes of 'produced locally' as more of an informative message. Other suggestions included; 'Social media, an instagram of fresh food would be really cool' which would be a nice addition to the campaign elevating it from a print campaign to include digital technologies, however these would need to be appropriate to the target audience. 

The peer-feedback received was of a really informative quality that has definitely helped to to identify a key design treatment to develop further and has provided new perspectives and insights as to how  I can actively push the campaign further which will ensure a more engaging and appropriate resolution which I can now begin to develop more practically.

No comments:

Post a Comment