Wednesday 4 May 2016

OUGD505: Studio Brief 2 - Concept Exploration

OUGD505: Studio Brief 2/ Product, Range and Distribution  

Concept Exploration 

Having been briefed on the project my first form of exploration was to brainstorm a range of potential issues that could be developed into my concept. This documented a range of topics that I found relevant and could be developed into design concepts to base my resolution on. 


Reviewing this brainstorming exercise I considered which of these topics that would sustain my interest throughout the extended nature of the brief. From this I concluded a large proportion of these topics wouldn't result in an extended project that I was genuinely passionate about therefore were dropped as tutors reinforced they wanted to see individual personality through the body of practical work. The topics that I was most genuinely interested in were locally produced foods and animal welfare. Based on this I decided to explore the limitations of both concepts in more detail to conclude the most substantial and engaging research focus.


Animal Welfare: 
I consider myself a strong animal love in particular dogs, being a dog owner of a little Westie  I have become extremely compassionate surrounding dogs in-particular. Using this to create evoke a personally engaging project I could look look at social and ethical issues surrounding animal welfare such as the benefits of adoption and  fully understanding animal welfare. The only negative surrounding this issue is it has the potential to become quite negative regarding animal neglect abuse and shelters which wouldn't appeal to me as much. 

Local Produce vs Mass Produce: 
Living in agricultural wales I have been brought up around the countryside and a lot of natural ingredients which I am grateful for. I believe quality ingredients make food so much better and love going home for this. When preliminarily researching into this topic found food is often transpired thousands of miles for cheaper production costs such as potatoes which can easily be grown in England are imported from Chilli as they are cheaper to supple in mass, this shocked me how we as a society accept this. My concept for the brief would be to advocate local produce over mass produce, promoting local produce as a more sustainable source and better quality food supply. 

I will gain feedback from tutors and students as to which concept they feel can be developed into the most sophisticated resolution and pair this with which I would find most personally engaging to decide on my project concept. 

 little pooch 

No comments:

Post a Comment