Monday 19 October 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 3 - Summer Brief

OUGD504: Brief 3: Type In Context

Summer Brief

For the summer brief I was required to collate an alphabet of letters centred around a specific place, I already had a family holiday planned to Australia and felt this would be a really unique insight to see how type affects different cultures. As we were travelling around the country I was also keen to see if this range of type differed within the different states. I took a fairly relaxed approach to the collation of my letterforms simply taking pictures of any signage I found interesting or aesthetically pleasing, from this I had a large sample of letterforms that I could then pick the most interesting ones for my final alphabet. 

I was really happy with my final selection of letterforms, I felt there were a varied range of styles and aesthetics appealing to different target audiences with varying levels of success. I had a wide range of letterforms to work with, moving forward from this I was unsure how to present my work in the form of a presentation to draw the attention of the audience to the specific letterforms being discussed. I ultimately decided vectorising each letterform would be the most successful approach as when experimenting with zooming in the pictures the quality was severely reduced and as a graphic designer I consider everything I produce and felt this would affect the quality of my presentation. I feel the vectorised letterforms will work extremely well as a presentation tool and show off the varying range of letterforms created highlighting the different shapes and textures pulled from the photographs.  



With my letterforms vectorised assembling the presentation was fairly straight forward, I created a simple grid to ensure continuity between the slides including the original image, vectorised letterform and a small summary describing the characteristics of the letter. Creating a professional presentation will make the actual delivery much smoother getting my message across to the audience and allowing them to see exactly what I'm taking about. I feel I have succeeded in creating an appropriate resolution to the brief that is board, varied and engaging. 




No comments:

Post a Comment