Friday 16 October 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 2 - Packaging: Label - Testing/Print

OUGD504: Brief 2: Logo Starter

Packaging: Label - Testing/Print

With my bottle label designed I needed to ensure it sat nicely of the bottle, I purchased a 100ml amber bottle as the same as the actual product, I trailed a range of label sized experimenting with rounded corners and different sized bands, based on feedback from other students I came to the conclusion that the smaller band sat on the bottle the best. This measured 50x140mm with the size confirmed I could resize my label and create any final adjustments before print. 



Producing a test print allowed me to visualise what the final output would look like this was essential as it allowed me to realise the type size for the body copy was far too small to read. Although medicine bottle text is typically a very small point size I increased the text to 4pt which allowed the design to remain minimal and include plenty of which space yet allowed the text to be legible in a similar fashion to standard medicine bottles. 



I sampled a range of stocks in the print room and after an in-depth conversation with the technician decided matt adhesive paper would be the best finish for the labels, this is the closest simulation to an industry standard print as I could get with the facilities provided in the university. I chose this finish because it meant I could apply the sticker straight to the bottle and the matt finish was standard of medicine bottles that would accentuate the bold spot colour. Using crop marks allowed me to cut the labels out by hand accurately however feel if this was printed professionally a large scale guillotine or  die cutter would be most effective in cutting down the labels. 




Overall I was extremely impressed with the quality of my resolution, I think the bold spot colour combined with the dynamic line create a contemporary packaging design that will appeal to the target audience and stand out against the range of existing products analysed in my research. The logo is prominent and draws the eye into the product making it more engaging and aesthetically pleasing placed central to the bottle. I feel this is a good contextualisation of my logo in a very appropriate medium that simulates a real life product.

No comments:

Post a Comment