Friday 9 October 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 2 - Initial Ideas

OUGD504: Brief 2: Logo Starter

Initial Ideas 

Through my extensive research and inferring a range of logo requirements I felt confident in my ability to create a range of initial logo ideas, I wanted to create a range of concepts that I could gain feedback from and develop into a successful concept. I started by sketching a number of rough initial ideas to physically document my ideas thus far, I felt these designs were board and varied consisting of logotype, iconic symbols and combination marks. 


1. I questioned if this design was too stereotypical using a cross of a rake and spade however felt it was effective iconography of the farm. 

2. I lied the minimalist aesthetic of this logo, although felt it needed a lot of development is this sketch was in very early stages, I used abbreviations of Portland Oregon which is effective and highlights the locality of the product. 

3. Continuing this theme of locality this design strongly infers the focus on the local nature of the product, I liked the use of different weights and feel this could be developed into a strong logotype. 

4. I liked the concept of this quick sketch, I feel it takes elements of the old logo and combines it into a bolder visual identity of the brand, the mandala design draws on the plants origins and the text wraps around the full design creating a strong logo concept.

5. I trailed a iconic logo which was purely visual, I liked the simplicity of this logo combining a rake with the stem of P however in retrospect an unsure if this looks too much like a fork, I could develop this to ensure the rake is clearly identifiable connoting nature. 

6. Experimenting with combination marks I created a bold shape topped with an more intricate flower design to reinforce the natural connotations of the product, placing the text inside the shape grouped the whole logo neatly to create a singular focal point.

7. This uber contemporary logo splits up the type and makes it more manageable to design with, I like the urban aesthetic of this logo and feel it would appeal to the target audience and fits within the culture of Portland well.

8. I experimented with a creative arrangement of the text creating a circle and playing with text as an image, I feel this logo could be effective with detailed typography choices and custom kerning. 

9. My final initial idea experiments with a serif typeface to connote traditional authenticity that would work well to promote the legitimacy of the brand. I think this could be developed with a detailed typeface and custom arrangement to make it successful. 

From these initial ideas I will develop a range of the most successful designs that I have the potential to create strong concepts that will ensure a strong visual representation of the brand before gathering a range of feedback to discover which I should develop into sophisticated concepts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment