Monday 12 October 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 2 - Further Development: 1

OUGD504: Brief 2: Logo Starter

Further Development: 1

Based on the feedback from my initial development a the majority of designers I asked for feedback said they liked this concept and told me to develop this further to create a sophisticated concept. I started by reverting back to the original design and adjusted the keying to create a custom arrangement that would make the logotype unique. I adjusted the letterforms to all align into a strict arrangement, this made the logo simple and added a more refined aesthetic. I then reviewed my typography choice, I initially went with a gut insult that Brandon grotesque would work well however experimented with other typefaces during this stage of development. This lead me back to my original conclusion that Brandon Grotesque was the most suitable typeface as it has a bold functional aesthetic that will stand out and be clearly legible yet has a warm touch with the slightly curved edges giving a more personal and approachable feel that works well with the laid back connotations of Portland culture. 



I was happy with the arrangement of this logo design and started to experiment with colour to see how this would affect the overall aesthetic, I introduced an organic curve through the centre of the logo to reinforce the organic nature of product, I trailed this with green and black for a strong contrast and further experimented with a two tone green. I felt the two-tone green worked well as it highlights the natural connotations of the product it also adds a layer of depth to the logo making it slightly less two dimensional. I asked other students for some feedback regarding the experimentation of colour, I found that they liked the use of green as they felt it worked well bringing the logo to life. My only concern being how will this use of colour effect its applicability to a range of media such as posters, flyers and packaging that will all incorporate other colour. 


Although I was happy with the progression of my development thus far I started experimenting further and created an alternative arrangement that allowed me to keep the majority of the logo in a monochrome pallet using a feature line add colour and to further represent the urban culture of portland through current design trends. Finally I created a further vacation for my logo that still was consistent with my concept using a long box to keep the word 'ashwagandha' all together to increase legibility, I feel this could be interchangeable with the original logo increasing the versatility for use on other media where the original logo would not be ideal. I will present these logo variations to a group of student designers in a critique to gain feedback as to which logo I should develop into my final resolution. 


No comments:

Post a Comment