Tuesday 13 October 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 2 - Extended Development

OUGD504: Brief 2: Logo Starter

Extended Development 

From the feedback a received in my critique I had chosen a final logo design design to develop into my final resolution. Now that I had chosen a final concept I could develop the finer details to ensure it creates a successful resolution to the brief. I started my extended development by reviewing the typeface used thus far in my design process, I trailed a number of typefaces and asked for feedback from a number of design students as to which they felt was the most appropriate. 

Typeface 1 = GT Pressura 
typeface 2 - DIN Bold 
Typeface 3 - Brandon Grotesque Black 

I found that based on designer feedback and my own personal opinion that Brandon Grotesque was the most appropriate typeface as it complements the icon and the lower x-height works better in a special design. Comments from students included that the circular o's represent the earth and a connote a more natural aesthetic and that the kerning looks more spread out and balances with the flower the best. 






I then chose to further develop the aesthetic of the logo trailing a design without the circles, I experimented with this to demonstrate a minimal aesthetic inspired from some of the logos I was attracted to in my research and found the results to give a great aesthetic. I feel the logo is more sophisticated without he circles and it feels like it gives the components more space to breathe whilst still creating an engaging focus point drawing the eye into the centre of the design. 

With the removal of the circles I felt the weight was potentially too dark for the delicacy of the design, It was a juggling act between making the logo stand out and catch the consumers eye yet remaining balanced and representative of the product and brands core values. Having chosen the most suitable typography choice (above) I went back to this and trailed different weights Black (below left) and Bold (below right) from this I found that the bold weight was more appropriate for my logo as it still demanded presence but balanced the whole design more whereas the black variant was too striking making it less aesthetically pleasing to look at visually. With this design decision I also altered the stroke of the mandala from 1.5 down to 1.3 making it the same weight visually as the bold typeface, I further outlined to stroke to ensure this remained consistent when the size was altered creating my final logo design. I was happy with the development of my logo creating a final concept that is strong aesthetically yet representative of the brand. 

Left Black, Right Bold 

Final Logo Concept

No comments:

Post a Comment