Friday 16 January 2015

Studio Brief 4 - Revised Artword

Studio Brief 4 - Design Processes, Communicate
Revised Artwork 

Having seen the high quality results the laser cutter produced I then questioned if the abstract design of the artwork would contrast with the clinical and precise outcome of the laser cut boards. I felt that the artwork would not blend with the other aspects of the concept making it look out of place. I asked a number of students who had mixed results towards this dilemma, The best feedback I received was to create an alternative design that is more regimental and fixed and then compare this to my initial abstract concepts to see which will look best on the mount board backing. 

For my new graphic  I then looked at the original London Underground tube map, designed by Harry Beck this is a great example of British Graphic Design which I felt would work well as a piece of artwork due to its bold style and audience appeal, due the the underground being a stereotypical feature of Britain to tourists etc. I started by sourcing an image of the underground online, I wanted to make the image bold and eye catching. For these reasons I chose to remove the names of the stations and the grid from the existing image, this just left the core lines of the tracks which was bold and I felt instantly recognisable as an train map. 




I thought of innovative ways to print my artwork, I considered screen printing and digital printing and felt these would produce good quality results. I then remembered in my print induction that the vinyl cutter could produce illustrator drawings by replacing the blade with a pen, I thought this would achieve a really high quality finish, I also felt it would match the clinical precision of the laser cut boards well as the vinyl cutter will draw out the tube map with a high degree of accuracy. 

I then transferred my photoshopped tube map into illustrator and used the image trace software to convert it to a vector ready to print. I considered a range of colour schemes however I felt black stock with a white gel pen would create a bold effect that would like constellation art with the coins looking that shining stars due to their metallic properties. I needed to add minor alterations to the original map as it did not include the national rail line which featured two of the venues. It was easy to add this in when the drawing daw converted into a vector as the map uses straight and angled lines so I ungrouped the image and compiled components to create the missing rail lines. I also added the London underground logo to reinforce that it was of London and the 2012 Olympic games logo to show the collaboration between the two and reinforce the series of coins I am designing for. 



No comments:

Post a Comment