Friday 16 January 2015

Studio Brief 4 - Laser Cutting

Studio Brief 4 - Design Processes, Communicate
Laser Cutting

As the brief stated I needed to store / Display the series of coins I thought the most appropriate way to achieve this would be to use mounting board. As it has a thickness of roughly 1.5mm it will securely hold the coins which have a thickness on 1.7mm. I had to schedule an appointment to use the laser cutter and I also had to arrange an induction to allow me to use the equipment, This required some planning and tested my organisation skills. I then created a vector image of the components I wanted to cut, I used illustrator as this was the software compatible with the laser cutter. 

Firstly I created a number of test pieces to test variations of my design, Firstly I wanted to test of if the coins would fit securely within the cut outs and secondly I wanted to test if I should use one or two layers of mount board to store the coins. The results of my testing showed me that the cut outs were a good size to store the coins, the fit was snug and ensured the coins didn't move about, I then looked at different thickness of mounting board and after some feedback from other students decided to use two layers on mount board to display the coins as one layer made the coins raise out of the board whereas two layers saw a seemingly flush surface, this also would prevent the coins falling out if hung vertically on a wall. 




Having tested the material I could then produce the board for my final outcome. I started by cutting the backing square that the coins would rest against,  I then cut the first layer of my coin cut outs followed by the second. I was really impressed with the quality of the outcome, the cuts were extremely precise and ensured a very high quality finish. 



No comments:

Post a Comment