Friday 9 January 2015

Studio Brief 3 - Page Layout Research

Studio Brief 3 - Design Processes, Page Layout (Indesign)

Page Layout Research 

Following the feedback received from my interim critique I have decided to follow a modernist theme whilst designing my double page spreads. This will allow me to create a style that reflects the ethos of the Olympic games that is 'everyones games' due to the modernists simplicity and international style of design. 

I will start by research my looking at existing examples of modernist page payout, analysing their strong and week design features and thinking about how I could adapt certain layouts to suit my purpose. This will inform my initial ideas and influence my designs. 

Sins and virtues - Typography Spread


I feel there is a number of strong design features used within this layout. I like the use of Helvetica as it is typically modernist, the minimal colour scheme is also representative of modernist design. I like the use of white space as it creates a simple elegance, It reinforces that there doesn't have to be a large amount of text within the page, I think this layout is an example of how minimal text and simplistic details can work together to create an aesthetically pleasing minimal layout. 




I like this magazine layout as it is still has a truly modernist design yet seems to challenge the conventions in a cheeky yet structured manner. The angled text shows how how even through the modernists aimed to implement strict guidelines for design that I could still be experimental and edgy, this sort of layout could work well for my layout as the London 2012 games were meant to be edgy and modern, this layout kind of represents this change within  a structured system (this layout trying to challenge modernist conventions and the London games trying to become unique within the olympic history). 


This modernist design differs slightly from the previous designs I have looked at, the use of bold colour is slightly unconventional within the modernist style however the highly structured layout and grid system reinforces modernist ideologies. I like the use of creative illustration that is uniform yet unusual to create an interesting and innovative effect. Although the colour scheme is usual to have block colour the typical modernist black Helvetica typography reinforces the norm of the modernist design. The 4 column grid is typical of modernist design yet works well in organising the text and layout. 


This double page spread, although clearly dated still looks contemporary in relation to its design. This is one of the main advantages to the modernist design ethos, the use of simplistic stripped back features creates an eternal relevance void of any trends and dated styles. I like the large vector circle covering the double page spread. I could add a contemporary update such as a larger sans-serif typeface and brilliant white stock to ensure it feels fresh and new. 


Finally this layout is slightly more contemporary than the previous examples by date however does not look uncommon amongst the other designs, I like the use of overlapping text making a bold yet structured statement, I also like the use of a full page imagery although feel it would have make more impact with monotone imagery and the stand alone 'd' in colour. I like the use of grid clearly separating text and imagery creatively juxtaposed with the large 'd' creating a unique and engaging layout. 

I will use this research to inform my initial designs, taking my favourite elements from each layout and tailoring them to my intended purpose. This should hopefully result in a range of good quality initial ideas that can then be developed into concepts for my final page layout design. 


No comments:

Post a Comment