Wednesday 14 January 2015

Studio Brief 3 - Initial Ideas

Studio Brief 3 - Design Processes, Page Layout (Indesign)
Initial Ideas

In order to create a range of initial ideas I sketched a range of quick page layouts that had been informed by my research. I used the strong design features from a number of the page layouts I had researched to create the basis of my layout, I then plan to develop these digitally to make the unique and eye catching. 

This page design was largely informed by my research, I liked the use of bright colour and a regimental design that incorporated a seemingly random pattern. I plan to use this design as the cover for my book as I feel with a highly luminous filled background it will look contemporary and will grab the readers attention. I plan to use Helvetica to create a large and legible title in the top left as these are both modernist conventions. I then plan to fill the squares with a heptagon outline in a clean grid like pattern. I think this will work well as it will be identifiably modernist and the heptagonal shape references the 50 pence pieces the content is informed by through Studio Brief 2.

Layout 1


My second layout design stems from primary research into magazine layouts. I found they often use full bleed images to create bright and engaging page designs. This page will function as my quotes page, I plan to incorporate a full bleed image of the subject relating to the quote. I will then anchor this with text on the right page of the spread. I think I will use helvetica as it is a well established feature of modernist design with oversized quotation marks potentially in another colour from the full bleed image creating synergy between the elements of the spread.

Layout 2

This layout is largely informed by the research I undertook into Tschichold's canon. The pages components fit within 2:3 ratio. This will give the design a modernist feel, To complement this I have incorporated vast amounts of white space to balance the page. I have defied Tschichold's canon to some extent placing the title outside of the strict grid however I feel this adds some degree unique features to the design. I plan to experiment with this digitally to see if it works well. I think I will keep a standard body copy of Helvetica due to its connotations of modernist design, I also think it will work well with the white space and strict grid. 


Layout 3


My final layout uses another example of full bleed imagery however I feel it differs greatly to the other layout design in terms of aesthetic. I feel a full bleed image spanning both pages will create a dominance on the page, a high resolution image will be required due to the the percentage of the page it covers. I feel this layout will look especially effective as the middle page of the book to get the full effect of the spread. The text is positioned in a four column grid to even distribute the text across the spread. I feel the text will be overshadowed by the imagery however a relatively large point size and typeface could combat this. 

Layout 4 

Having sketched a range of initial layout designs I feel confident in re-creating these in a digital medium to develop into sophisticated layout designs. I will use the Indesign sessions running along side the brief to gain a better knowledge of the software in order to obtain some high quality results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment