Tuesday 6 January 2015

Studio Brief 2 - Coin research

Studio Brief 2 - Design Processes, Research

Coin research 

For this initial research into coins I started by talking to my father to see what type of coins he has a collection of. I found that he keeps 50p coins with different reverse designs to commemorate different historical events. When I asked him why he started his collection he told me after he found a rare 20p by chance that sold for over £80 he thought he would keep a selection of these 50p pieces, in the hope the collection would one day be worth some value. He told me that he doesn't buy the coins online or intentionally look for them, he just ensures he keeps a coin he gets finds in his wallet if he knows he hasn't got one of that design already. 

Following this I decided to tailor my concept and research to look at 50pence pieces. I then looked on the royal mint website to see all of the 50p pieces that are in circulation. This website was extremely helpful as it showed every coin in circulation, the year it was released and what event the reverse design communicated. It also gave me accurate facts on 50p specifications from a source I knew would be accurate and reliable. 




I  looked at a blog dedicated to coins and collections which I found useful as it helped me to understand jargon and subtle difference between coins such as proof and uncirculated coins


Finally I looked at a royal mint blogpost giving advice on how to collect the London 2012 olympics coin series produced for the Olympic Games, This gave tips from collectors who had collected the full set and it surprising the lengths they will go to in their hunt to find collectors items. 

No comments:

Post a Comment