Thursday 15 January 2015

Studio Brief 4 - Concept / Initial Ideas

Studio Brief 4 - Design Processes, Communicate
Concept / Initial Ideas

Having researched existing products and finding a potential gap in the market I felt ready to create a range of initial ideas. I wanted to start where I left my research, by looking at a potential gap in the market for a new form of coin display that fully displays the series of coins. One of the problems I identified from my research is that even though the royal mint store stocks collectors albums, I feel they do not display the collection very well as the book will most likely be placed in a draw or on a bookshelf with minimal interaction once completed. As the problem I identified was that there is nothing to do with the coins once they have been collected I feel I should create some from of display art that shows the coin collection and can be easily interacted with.

 This lead me to define my final concept for the brief. I intend to create some from of wall art similar to a poster with cut outs that the coins can be inserted into once collected. This will create determination to collect the coins to finish the piece of artwork, It can then be displayed on a wall as a piece of art that also displays the collection, it will ensure that the collection is always on display to be interacted with by guests etc. I am extremely happy with this concept as I feel it is innovative and will create some unique results through the design of the graphic art and assembly of the final outcome. 

Now that my concept has been fully defined I can proceed with creating a range of initial ideas.  I am basing my designs around the series of 2012 olympic games 50 pence pieces as this was my main focus during the research of Studio Brief 2. I started by creating some initial sketched of how I wanted my final piece to look physically, this included an exploded view drawing (seen below) showing the estimated assembly of the outcome. I think this method would work well as the layers of material (most likely mounting board) will provide enough thickness to encase the coins so they could hang on a wall without falling out, I plan to use the laser cutter to cut the shapes from the material this will then be bonded together with my final graphic placed over the top in order to create my final outcome. 



Following on from this I then started to sketched out some initial ideas for the graphic of my artwork, I wanted the overall aesthetic to be bold and graphic. I started by brainstorming ideas and thought created a range of designs. The first being a collage of famous British artists work, this would included the likes of Henry Moore, Damien Hirst and Tracy Emin,  I would take examples of their works and create bold vectors in my own style to create a collage. The second idea drew inspiration from the famous London Underground tube map designed by Harry Beck, I planned to use this with the coins fitting into the the olympic venues all over London. I liked this idea as it used a range of components that all worked well together, the use of British designer Harry Beck and his tube map which is iconic and will appeal to an audience would work well with the coin series creating a British work of art. The third design is a combination of the two, I designed an abstract variation on the london tube map with a subtle collage as a background contrasted against an abstract river thames and rail map. 



No comments:

Post a Comment