Tuesday 29 March 2016

OUGD503 - BACIL Poster Campaign: Development

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 1/ BACIL Poster Campaign   

Development


Due to the digital nature of my concept focusing around the use of emojis to visually communicate the anti theft and awareness message I chose to begin my development digitally, quick paper sketches suggested different composition styles however I found it easier to experiment and develop this aesthetic digitally as the minimal nature of the aesthetic was difficult to visualise on paper. 

I created line vectors of the emoji icons as I felt the vectors themselves would create too much colour diversity and would be difficult to place within a background. This design direction uses the centralised eye's with common objects found in peoples pockets within their day to day lives. These images give clear connotations to watch their stuff and is anchored with the cleverly worked slogan 'keep an eye on it' this gently reminds the audience to watch their belonging in a relatively informal manner. The red illustrations and text matches the BACIL logo with the turquoise contrasting this for a bolder more eye-catching aesthetic. 

Coming back to this design I found the composition made the message slightly confusing with the illustrations placed around the eyes made it seem like keeping an eye on your stuff would be difficult and confusing which isn't the message I wanted to convey within my resolution, from this I identified I needed to simplify this aesthetic in order to make the visual communication of the concept more effective to the audience. 



Identifying the confusion within my first design treatment I set out to define this back to a simple clear statement that will be easily rememberable for the audience. Taking further inspiration from youth culture identified their smartphones are their most important possession, would be the item they would least like to lose and is identified in the brief as a popular target for pick pocketers and thieves. This informed my decision to simplify the visual aesthetic to simply the phone and eyes as a strong visual focal point reminding the audience to keep an eye on their possessions. I used the terminology from the brief creating the slogan 'watch your stuff' as this succinctly and directly creates a strong statement that anchors the visual image and will be effective in communicating the concept of the poster to the audience. 

For the aesthetic I initially used a dark navy blue to catch the eye, this was contrasted with the yellow illustrations and slogan with the BACIL logo placed in their pantoned spot colour However felt this could be simplified further due to the clean minimal aesthetic of the line illustrations and clean sans-serif type. From this I converted the yellow to white which created a stark contrast against the navy background and reduced the colour palette to an effective two colour + stock arrangement that works well in focusing the attention of the audience initially to the illustrations which is then supported by the slogan and logo for further context. 


No comments:

Post a Comment