Tuesday 29 March 2016

OUGD503 - BACIL Poster Campaign: Further Development/Feedback

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 1/ BACIL Poster Campaign   

Further Development/Feedback


From the group critique I was given a range of good quality feedback, one of the tutors states he felt the use of the real emojis would create a stronger more demanding visual aesthetic that will appeal to the target audience and create a more colloquial tone to engage its audience. I initially tried sourcing these emojis from a website http://emoji.ink however these were too low quality for the size of the poster. Failing this I had to vectorise these by hand with help from the IT technicians I manages to get a really close resemblance to the originals that would be instantly recognisable as the popular icons. 



With the vectors I then placed these into a composition. I tool inspiration from the initial design treatment as this was popular with students and tutors in the critique however moved the slogan to sit directly under the emojis to create a singular high impact focal point. I was much happier with this design direction as it was bold high-impact and created a strong communication of the content which remaining engaging to the key demographic highlighted within the brief. 

I trailed a series of colour ways, I initially liked the turquoise colour taken from my initial ideas however receiving feedback from students and tutors they felt this was too calming and didn't enforce there high impact nature of the design. Following this I trailed the red which created a far high impact creating a strong eye-catching aesthetic, this also complemented the BACIL logo refining the colour palette further to ensure the emojis are the instant focal point of the poster. 



I tend to draw away from banners within my design as I feel it separate the design too much to resolve this I created a thin boarder around the image which adds a consistency to the whole aesthetic. I then asked a range of students and tutors which variant they felt worked most effectively, there was split opinions however I decided in the boarder as it creates a more proportioned aesthetic that works better as a whole, it came down to personal taste and I feel it works more succinctly as a whole design treatment. 



I received strong feedback for the final resolution as it is strong and minimal in its aesthetic with a simple colour palette and bold focal point that is playful and engaging to the key demographic identified within the brief. The tone of the resolution is informal and colloquial so to not cast negative connotations on the environment in which it is displayed. I have considered its application and altered the typeface from a paid DIN font to free 'intro' as due to the small scale of the organisation it is unlikely they would have the budget to paid for premium fonts, this understanding of the client and commercial practice highlights my developing practice and commercial awareness within the industry and has lead to a well informed and appropriate resolution to the brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment