Wednesday 4 November 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 3 - Development: Illustrations

OUGD504: Brief 3: Type In Context

Development: Illustrations

Having decided to create custom illustrations for each letterform I started with a thought process exercise to expand my thinking as I found illustration for particular letterforms difficult, I starting thinking more openly about each letterform in terms of the place, the context of the letterform and notable things associated with these which gave me a larger pool of inspiration to draw from. I converted these ideas into digital illustrations that further explore the context of the letterform bringing the context to life for the reader. Below highlights the final illustrations for each letter, These are extremely representative of each letterform and will work well in engaging the audience and adding extra context to the publication making it more exciting that pure text to describe the context. 



With the development of the illustrations I started to focus on the colour palette. As the photography was pantone 6C black the design could feature bold colours for the illustrations without contrasting with the photography. This was essential in making the book visually engaging at a glance. I started with a combination of blue, light purple and orange however felt the orange looked out of place with against the cooler colours. I then developed this further trailing tonal blues to represent the water that was found in all the cities I visited however this was lost in the page and didn't 'POP'. 


Following this I then reverted back to the original blue and purple as I felt these worked well together I then trailed introducing other cooler colours and found green was effective in making the design stand out yet worked well as a cohesive colour palette. I contrasted these cool colours with a vibrant orange as students liked the informed use of orange within my initial development, the orange contrasts the colour palette allowing it to vibrantly stand out and distinctly spell out AUSTRALIA in the vectored letterforms. Placing it in the bottom corner allowed a flip book effect the would spell out Australia when flicked through, This strengths the concept of the design and highlights the clear design decisions behind the selection of the letterforms. Using the Pantone referencing system will further ensure continuity of the colours across the full publication and will aid the physical production of the publication as printers can mix the specific colours easily using the pantone system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment