Thursday 23 April 2015

Studio Brief 4 - Mock Ups

Studio Brief 4 - Reflective Practise - Speaking from experience  
Mock ups

Having decided on my final typeface and colour palette I wanted to create some detailed mock ups to prepare me for screen printing my final outcome. I stated by kerning, tracking and leading each of my statements to ensure they looks engaging would work well as an image on the front of the bag. 

I stated with the development of the 1st quote 'Possibly the best Graphic Design Programme in the country' I stated with the initial quote however realised that this didn't fit within the grid I experimented with moving the text but looked anaesthetically pleasing, I asked amber and she suggested changing 'programme' to 'degree' I felt this worked much better as it allowed the design to fit neatly within the grid. I then sampled a lowercase variation as suggested in the interim critique however felt this was far less successful because it wasn't as bold and engaging. I made this design capital and found this worked better creating my final design for this statement. I think it works extremely well with the word 'best' emphasising the point and reassuring new students they have picked the right course/university to study at. 







I initially had some difficulty with the statement 'I am creative' as because it was short there was less I could experiment with. I didn't want the typical central aligned statement as I felt this wasn't very creative which defied the statement. Talking to tutors  we were concerned about the legibility of the initial design but liked the square aesthetic however through development I created the alternative design that we agreed worked better. cutting up the work makes the design look more creative and allows it to fit into a structured grid. the word 'am' is in orange as this stresses the point that I the user believes they are. I experimented with using the word 'i' in orange however felt this was not bold enough due to it being a single letter. 



I changed the final quote from graphic design is whatever you want it to be to 'Graphic Design is whatever I want it to be' as after feedback in the interim critique. Based on feedback I felt that using first person would make the statement work better as it is then personal to use user creating a bold statement that connotes confidents and will reassure new students that it is good to experiment. I experimented with the placement of this statement and felt that the bottom right corner had more of a creative placement that the standard placement in the centre of the bag. 




 I placed the Leeds College of Art logo onto all of my design as I wanted to promote the college and make the use feel confident that they have chosen this institution. This also makes my final resolution specific to this institution and this course. I am happy with my final outcomes as I feel they will work extremely well in aiming students feel confident and re assure them they are capable. I feel my final designs will also educate students about type choices and making informed design decisions such as my colour selection. I am happy with these designs and received feedback from tutors who said they felt there were strong enough to print. 

No comments:

Post a Comment