Wednesday 22 April 2015

Studio Brief 4 - Initial Ideas

Studio Brief 4 - Reflective Practise - Speaking from experience  
Initial Ideas 

Having developed my statements I could then start to create my initial ideas for the design direction of my tote bags. I sketched some initial thumbnail designs using a range of hand rendered type styles and different media to experiment with colour texture and weight, I feel this worked well as it allowed me to trial different styles with composition before developing this digitally. 



I feel I have created a good range of initial design directions that I would be able to develop digitally into sophisticated concepts. I started by experimenting with different had rendered typefaces similarly to the Leeds university union tote bag, I didn't think this design worked well as I don't find it aesthetically pleasing, although I would be able to experiment with different typefaces  don't think the overall aesthetic would appeal to designers as I feel it looks fairy amateur, I feel I could create a much stronger design direction the is more tasteful and will appeal to the target audience. 


I created a range of design directions featuring my own hand rendered type. I feel this direction could work well as it adds the personal touch to the aesthetic. As the brief is so personal to me I feel this hand rendered aesthetic could be a nice touch to make the resolution more personal, my concept revolves around me being able to reassure the target audience and this may be more approachable if it was presented in an informal hand rendered style. 


Finally I experimented with different media, I sampled a watercolour variation but decided this was too arty and wanted to keep the design direction more specific to the course. I used a combination of marker and ink to create this engaging design direction. I like the use of gold ink to accentuate the word 'best' as I feel this is the most important word in the statement. I like how this is juxtaposed against the black to make it stand out. I think this will attract that target audience more as they will find the singular word engaging and will catch their eye easily. 



I will develop the hand rendered type and singular word colour change design direction before asking a range of students and tutors which design direction they feel as though I should develop into my final resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment