Tuesday 21 April 2015

Studio Brief 4 - Difficulties

Studio Brief 4 - Reflective Practise - Speaking from experience  
Research - Difficulties

I asked a range of students what their main difficulties were when coming to university to get a better idea of how I could re-assure the new first year students. Some of the responses I received included;

  • Missing home x3
  • Making friends x4
  • workload x1
  • fitting in x3
  • If it was right for them x4

As this brief is a personal response to things I found difficult I then presented students with a range of questions which I asked them answer to get a better understanding if other students had similar worries to me. 

I firstly asked if they had any doubts if they were good enough to be on the course. Nearly all the students I asked said they questioned, some of the response I got were; 

  • Absolutely, I'm still kind of unsure
  • I was petrified everyone was going to be better than me 
  • I didn't do graphics in college so was scared I wouldn't know anything 
  • It took me way into the 1st year to realise I was doing okay haha 

This was a real concern for me too, coming from an A-level background and not doing a foundation course prior to university I was really apprehensive as to whether I'd be good enough for the course. 

I then asked if they had any doubts about the university/course since being at university as this was another concern of mine prior to the course. Having the choice to apply to a range of universities and opting for a small independent art college initially worried me as I wouldn't get the 'typical' university experience but after the first few weeks I was sure I had made the right decision for me. I was slightly surprised to see that quite a lot of students agreed that they had doubts before coming to university. Students told me that;

  • I was about to quit during the first module because I thought it was all type but then I really got into it. 
  • I wanted a big uni experience but the course was better here, I was apprehensive thought 
  • I nearly changed to illustration but then realised how open I could make the briefs. 
  • I came through clearing so felt rushed but so glad I stayed. 

This really helped me to solidify my context as I have found that a range of students have also had similar apprehensions to me at the start of the course. This helps me as I can design with assurance that other students have shared similar problems to me showing the likelihood that new students are likely to have similar concerns making my designs relevant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment