Tuesday 21 April 2015

Design Principles - What is a Book - Production

Design Principles
What is a book? 
Production

For the production of my final resolution I ultimately decided to produce my final publication from the print room alternative stock as I felt the somerset stock noticably reduced the image quality Although the somerset stock was my preferred stock choice the errors in printing were too noticeable and I feel lowered the overall quality of the print. I wanted the designs to be as bold and engaing so opted for the stock that produced the best quality prints. I then individually put each page down to size using a craft knife for accuracy as I felt a guillotine might not alight as efficiently to the crop marks. 



I Then cut my covers down to size, I decided to make these the same size as the pages as I felt this would create a flush clean edge. I covered the underside of the mountboard with black card to create a consistent black cover that I feel worked well as it boldly distinguished the cover from the stock on both sides.


I started to bind the book following the online tutorial for reference. I learnt from the mistakes I made in my mock ups correcting features such as ensurng the string was tight as I was sewing each signiture and placing my first & last holes close to the top and bottom of the publication to reduce undesired movement. 





Using waxed cotton thread aided the production of my final outcome greatly as it allowed me to pull the thread tighter and was easier to thread. The final outcome of of my publication went well finishing it to a high standard. I was really happy with my final outcome, critically it still contained a small number of design flaws however felt this was unavoidable when producing the resolution by hand. That pages of my book were not perfectly flush as stuck out by 0.1mm. I asked my tutor if I should trim this down and we felt it I could make the overall aesthetic worse. I think the overall quality of the outcome was relatively high as besides a few minor errors, the binding worked efficiently and added a great aesthetic  to the publication making it open fully and flexibly. I am happy with my final stock choice as it complements the contrasting cover as stated by a member of my target audience, I think the screen printed title works well however was a shame I couldn’t use the variation with the shape spot varnished too as I feel this could have make the title more noticeable. I think the whole design works well together with the sinister context informing my major design decisions to create continuity within the publication, the production works well with the content making the final outcome successful.








No comments:

Post a Comment