Wednesday 12 November 2014

Studio Brief 4 - Outcomes

Studio Brief 4 - Message and Delivery - Delivery

Outcomes

I have responded to the feedback in the interim critique and undertaken further research to give me inspiration that has been applied to my final outcomes.

Image Only Outcome

My Image only outcome is vastly different to the proposed concept suggested in the interim critique however I feel the concept is ten times stronger. The concept behind this piece is based on the ongoing Afghanistan Conflict, I have created a range of symbols that ambiguously blend into the background these include important features of the conflict such as injured soldiers, secret documents, guns tanks and national flags, these represent the ongoing conditions within the conflict. The yellow square then represents the media and how it chooses to ignore all of the ongoing conditions depicted in the background and only reports on large scale issues and events such as bomb strikes. This highlights my overarching message of how the media are biased and subjectively document current affairs.

I have chosen a yellow square to represent the media as this will instantly attract the attention of an audience as well as giving connotations of danger and warning through its use in warning signs, It also suggests the media is toxic through connotations gained by the toxic substance symbol. 

I am happy with the final outcome of this piece as  I feel it accurately depicts my intended message explaining it clearly through a highly documented context that an audience will be able to interpret and understand clearly. 


Text Only Outcome


My text only outcome again differs greatly from the proposed concept in my interim critique, however I feel these changes greatly affected the quality of this outcome. I have used the word 'TRUTH' as the primary focus for this concept, this will instantly grab the attention of an audience and create an enigma with the use of smaller text that requires one to stop at interact with the piece. I have taken inspiration from 3D cinema creating a three dimetional affect that is visually jarring and could make the audience feel uncomfortable, even dizzy. This three dimentional effect is given context by the anchored text 'Distorted by the media' suggesting again the media are biased. I was so committed to the success of this concept it was only after printing that I realised this outcome uses 3 colours when the brief states only 2 should be used. This is an error on my part however non of the students I asked for feedback commented on this until post production. If I had time to revise this outcome I would reduce it to only 2 colours. 


I have chosen Helvetica as my typeface as I feel this is clearly legible and will attract an audience even when in context for example a busy underground station. I have used a dark grey background to create continuity between the set of posters, this then informed my decision to use white text in order to successfully contrast the two elements adding to the legibility of the outcome. 

I am extremely pleased with this outcome, I feel the message is clearly articulates and the context is clearly demonstrated through the supporting text. I feel this piece will react well with an audience and could be used in a range of contexts due its exceptional legibility. 


Text and Image Outcome
My type and Image outcome was achieved as an extension of the interim critique due to the positive feedback received. The concept is extremely evident, I have created a bold and minimalistic symbol of a newspaper anchored with the text 'BOOK OF LIES' this clearly articulates the specific message of media bias that runs through all three outcomes. 

I have again used helvetica due its legibility and to create continuity between the text outcome and this piece. Other examples of continuity within the suite of outcomes include the 'Pantone Neutral Black C' background and 'Pantone 395 C' yellow creating a house style within this suite. 

I think an audience would react well to this outcome due to its clear message and simple imagery that could be placed affectively in a range of contexts and environments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment