Monday 3 November 2014

Studio Brief 2 - Experimentation

OUGD403 - Visual Thinking - Vector Type
Experimentation

With a basic outline for my letters formed and an initial alphabet developed I looked at how experimentation could improve the design. I looked at a range of variants to my initial alphabet which included asking for peer and staff opinions on my developed typeface, in order to see how in their opinion I could improve the final design. 

As part of this brief we received illustrator tutorials in order to develop our skills within the software and gave us dedicated time to develop our typeface. During this time one of the IT staff commented on how I could experiment with my typeface by looking at how much of the actual letter I could remove and the letterform to still be recognisable and legible. I thought this was an interesting concept and decided to experiment with his proposal. When experimenting with this concept I removed partial parts of the letterform to create a stark minimal look this included removing the vertical lines from letters such as the 'D' 'K' and 'P'. I felt this concept worked well with these letters however was unsure if it would translate as effectively across the broad range of letterforms. 

I found that certain letters were easier to manipulate than others for example the 'B' and 'R' worked well when removing large parts of the letterform however letterforms such as 'U' and 'J' were complicated to extract components from because of the structure of the letterform. From this I created my full alternative concept however found this was not as affective in conveying my assigned word. I also found the legibility reduced with this variation so ultimately decided to stick with my initial outcome as I felt this was a more appropriate solution to the brief. 

Experimental Concept 

Final Concept

No comments:

Post a Comment