Tuesday 11 November 2014

Design Principles - Visual Literacy - Negative Space

Design Principles 
Visual Literacy, Negative space - 11/11/14

I was introduced to negative space through a seminar and workshop that was used to develop our understanding of this concept. I found it was extremely important to consider this within graphic design as it can be used effectively to articulate a concept or hidden meaning. As a group we looked at some famous examples of negative space including potentially the most successful example; the Fedex logo. The logo creatively uses kerning to create an arrow in the negative space of the 'e' and 'x' this symbolises the companies efficiency and relates to there logistics business. 


We were then set a brief to experiment with negative space ourselves. We could choose any word and were tasked with using the negate space effectively to communicate something. I initially had difficulty picking a word so was assigned 'cat' by the tutor. I felt this was better as I had to work creatively from scratch. I played around with a range of initial ideas I started to experiment with the ears as I felt this was a distinguishing feature however later developed this into experimenting with the whole body. 



My final design I feel is quite a creatively abstract resolution to the brief I have created a cat silhouette from the three letters c.a.t. I really like the abstract quality to this design as at first it just looks like a cat silhouette but upon closer inspection you start to see the word within it. I like this resolution as I feel its works well to articulate the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment