Saturday 1 November 2014

Studio Brief 3 - Interim Critique

Studio Brief 3 - Message and Delivery - Research
Interim Critique 


The interim critique for this brief was very informal, It took place on Monday 27th and consisted of me articulating to a group of students and lecturing staff the reasons behind why I chose to extend my research on a particular story, How I will conduct this research and what will be my specific focus throughout.

I have chosen the Russell Brand story in which he is suggested to have made controversial remarks at 9/11 conspiracy theories. I find this story particularly interesting as Russell Brand does not have any previous experience in the political system yet he has conducted a host of self initiated research that has lead him to become passionately involved politics and allows him to articulate his opinions of capitalism and consumerism in an effective and engaging manner.  

I explained how I plan to conduct a range of research that would include watching the actual interview to gather my own personal opinion on the accusations made against Brand, Looking at the social media responses to these alleged comments, conducting some form of primary research and analysing whether the style of the paper affects the way the story is reported. I explained how the focus of my research would be to show the range of ways different media outlets represent the story and I will look for possible reasons behind this. The below image shows a basic research plan that I created to ensure all the key information was covered, this will be beneficial to me as I can ensure the topics don't overlap or yet missed out during my research. It also highlights a potential page layout that I could use to present my extended research, as it will be text heavy I feel A3 boards will be the most appropriate way to display the information. 

Research Plan

I received positive feedback for my research plan with comments including I have thought objectively about the different components I will need to research in order to holistically research how the story has been reported over different mediums. Students also found my specific focus interesting as it looks at at the story from a different angle, instead of just analysing the content I have chosen to research why and how papers represent the story in different ways in order to appeal to a specific audience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment