Friday 7 November 2014

Studio Brief 4 - Development

Studio Brief 4 - Message and Delivery - Delivery

Development

From the initial ideas, found here; Initial concepts I then moved to to developing these concepts further in order to make the concepts of a high standard before presenting them to a group. 

Image Only Concepts; 




Image concept 1 

The first concept for my image poster uses satire type illustrations to portray a corporate figure controlling the general public like puppets on a string. I tried a range of developments for this design including changing the character however found I preferred the first image as I felt it was aesthetically pleasing and delivered the message successfully. 

Image concept 2 

My second image only concept uses ideology from tarot cards, I have used the Justice card  as reversed it means biased, unjust and lies. I have remodelled the original image giving it a dystopian sci-fi edge, through the development process I have developed features and added wavy hair reminiscent of Psychedelic posters throughout the 1980's. I have chosen the 3rd development of this design as I feel it could be successfully recreated digitally however I feel I could be challenged with my use of colour.

Image only 3

The third design draws on how the media can be perceived as evil, I have experimented with using newsprint for the background and as a fill for the skull however eventually chose a newspaper backdrop with a bold black skull as I think it will have impact when glanced at by an audience. 

Image only 4


My final design concept for the image only poster shows a graphic scene of the general public rebelling against the ideology that the media is correct and reports the truth. When developing this design I looked at how I could alter it to achieve the most impact and found that using a group of people showed a scene of a majority rebelling against the media.

Preferred Image only Concept

I then asked a range of students for their opinions on these designs and which they felt I should take forward into the critique and develop further into a sophisticated final concept. I found the most popular concept was the third. students liked the use of newsprint to clearly identify a message, they commented on the bold imagery and liked the use of red as it acted like 'blood scratch marks', they finally said it can be used as a metaphor for painting the devil because of the hand rendered paint-like effect used. Other reasons they chose this design over the other included design 2 being too abstract with one student saying 'it needs to be explained before it can be appreciated'. 

Text only concepts; 



Text only concept 1



I felt my first text concept was extremely strong, the use of a bold simple glyph instantly stands out and creates an enigma within the piece, I have experimented with position and text including examples and statements. I chose my final design as I feel the text adds to the enigma if the whole piece, It is purposely vague and thought-provoking which I feel works well as a design.



Text only Concept 2

My second text only concept uses shock techniques the bold quote 'Lying Bastards' will intrigue and shock an audience, and will make them want to look again to see if they have read the poster correctly the first time. I experimented with bold typefaces and placements however for my final design chose to continue with a satire type theme. The typography used in my final design is 'The Daily Mail' typeface, this is instantly recognisable so will be obvious to an audience what I am suggesting through this image. I have also incorporated negative space within the piece to draw an audience into the message. 


Text only Concept 3


For my third concept I wanted the design to be solely reliant on the text, the thought provoking text 'The media controls the mind' will grab an audience and hopefully make them question this statement. I wanted to use a modernist principle for this design so when digitally developed I would use minimal colour, helvetica typography and an abundance of white space. For these reasons I have chosen the third variation as my preferred design. I feel the text is positioned well to cover the space in 'designed' manor. 

Text only Concept 4 
My final text only concept draws reference from the dictionary. I have mimicked the format of a dictionary definition however substituted the definition for a creative solution that conveys my message. This in some ways stands as a message of how anyone can change the meaning of something as when developed into a final concept it would look like a legitimate dictionary definition. I have chosen my final design as I felt it was the clearest message that is concise and easy to read.


Preferred Text only concept

I have chosen to take the first of my text only concepts forward to my interim critique. I like the bold imposing glyph that evokes and enigma and I feel the anchoring text explains the concept well. Other students shared my appreciation for this design saying they loved the use of the oversized glyph and that they could see it looking 'fantastic' produced digitally. Overall they said this was their favourite design as it grabbed their attention when they were laid out on the table.

Text and Image Concepts; 


Text and Image Concept 1

My first text and image concept, I feel as a grunge, graffiti style. I like the use of imagery, the  suit gives instant connotations of a corporate body and by not including the facial expressions gives a sense of no accountability, impersonal and 'faceless' lies. I experimented with the anchoring text however found my favourite was the simple use of the work 'lies' I like the position of the text as it is as if he has been branded a liar which adds to the semantics of the image. 

Text and Image Concept 2

My second concept uses the famous quote by Dan Brown - 'Media is the right arm of anarchy' I looked at different ways I could visually represent this and decided that my favourite design was the use of a bomb illustration created with newsprint. I feel this accurately sums up my message in an aesthetically pleasing and engaging manor. 

Text and Image Concept 3
My third design uses a minimal theme. The central newspaper is instantly recognisable by the layout. I have experimented with the anchoring text however chose 'Book of Lies' as my preferred design this is because it clearly articulates the message in a short and snappy sentence that creates an enigma and will hopefully engage the audience. 

Text and Image Concept 4


My final text and image concept uses a conceptual quote 'The media controls the mind' I have experimented with a range of imagery that represents this quote however chose the brain and spinal chord illustration for my final design. I feel this would work best hand rendered and scanned in with mediums such as watercolour. 

Preferred Text and Image Concept 
I have chosen to take concept 3 forward into my interim critique and to potentially develop into my final concept. I have chosen this design as I think the individual components work well to deliver the message clearly. The simple illustration is easy to identify and works well from a distance, the text is short and easy to read especially if the poster was in a travel context for example in a train station or shopping mall, finally I like the use of negative space within the piece as it ensures the viewer focuses in on the message and is not overwhelming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment