Saturday 14 February 2015

Design Principles - What is a Book - Research: Babadook- Artist Focus

Design Principles
What is a book? 
Babadook - Artist Focus

Due to the relatively sinister nature of my concept I wanted to create quite a dark aesthetic for my book. I recently watched the film 'The Babadook' in the cinema and was reality inspired by the illustration type used within the film I thought it looked great and felt a similar style would work well with the context of my publication. I started to do some further independent research and managed to find the illustrator commissioned to design the Babadook illustrations and pop up book. 

Alexander Juhasz grew up in Elizabeth, New Jersey, and was inspired by his father to become an illustrator. He completed a BFA in Illustration at the School of visual Arts in New York in 2005. Over the years he developed a very unique aesthetic and created many successful and award winning projects. In 2012 Alex was invited to join The Babadook crew in Australia to create a Pop-up Book for the film. As of today, The Babadook has been critically acclaimed as the “Best Horror Film of 2014″ and has won multiple awards internationally.  Due to the success of the film and intense fan interest, the Pop-up book is being published as a collectible item, Alex joined once more Jennifer Kent in Sydney this February, to illustrate a finished book set to be released this summer.

I really like this dark illustrative style and feel it could work well as the basis for my artwork within my publication. Watching the video below gave me an insight into his design process, I like how everything was created by hand giving the book a real sense of quality and a personal aesthetic in an age of extreme digital technology. I will use the influence of Alex Juhasz's work within my initial ideas to see if I can produce a similar aesthetic that I feel will work well for my publication. 

Babadook Project 






No comments:

Post a Comment