Saturday 14 February 2015

Studio Brief 1 - Introduction

Studio Brief 1 - Design Practise, Professional Practise - Secret 7 
Introduction

BRIEF; 
LIVE BRIEF: SECRET 7”
http://secret-7.com/
Design a 7" record sleeve for one of the following 7 artists:
The Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be
The Supremes - Reflections
The Maccabees - Go
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
The Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers
St. Vincent - Digital Witness
Underworld - Born Slippy
You should aim to visually explore the artists and tracks, through the context of the secret 7 competition. You are competing against 1000's of submission from all over the world, how can your design/designs stand out. What are the obvious responses? How can knowledge of these inform your own visual investigation. 100 designs for each track will be selected, pressed and printed to be exhibited and sold for £50 to raise money for the Nordoff Robbins Charity. Creatives from around the world are invited to interpret the tracks in their own style for every 7”.

Interpretation of the Brief;
My interpretation of the Brief is that it it is a great start to emerging into the real world of graphic design. I will give me opportunity to showcase my work to a real audience and potentially give me chance for some recognition. I feel as though I will have to step up my work load in order to be in with a chance of winning the competition. I also feel this live brief benefits a good cause as the proceeds go to a worthwhile charity. I feel the brief is a expressive task that will allow me to communicate my individual thoughts towards by chosen track in a creative and aesthetically pleasing manner.

Research Plan;
The first element of my research will be to research secret 7 to find out about their heritage, why the competition was established and how successful it has been, from this I will then listen to the 7 tracks and choose the most appropriate track dependant on which on I feel would be able to interpret the most appropriately. From this I will then research the song and artist in order to get a feel for their personality, style and influences. I will research the meaning of the song and listen to live performances and interviews in order to gain a holistic knowledge of the track and artist. I could then began to create a range of thumbnails which I will later narrow down and present to a group of students in an interim crit to acquire feedback and determine which designs are the most appropriate and how to develop these into final designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment