Tuesday 17 February 2015

Studio Bief 1 - Thumbnail Design

Studio Brief 1 - Design Practise, Professional Practise - Secret 7 
Idea Generation - Thumbnail Design

Following the expressive drawing task I was required to create thirty thumbnails that were initial ideas of how I could reinterpret the track to fulfil the brief. I considered a range of viewpoints that I could adapt to create a range of ideas that holistically covers the breadth of the track and its connotations. When designing these thumbnails I considered the media and colour scheme that would be most appropriate to the resolution. 



1. The design for thumbnail 1 was inspired by a Buzzfeed article I read as part of my research in which the writer described the song as having full-blown social media addiction. This playful illustration depicts a skeleton with a smartphone symbolising that people will still be addicted to technology even after they are dead.

2. Thumbnail 2 this typographic design uses bold typography with missing counters and full caps to create a visually bold and eye-catching design. The taboo language creates a shock factor and will appeal to the audience with the taboo word 'shit' blocked out with social media symbols relating to the context of the song. 

3. This thumbnail is a mosaic of an eye which represents a distorted view of the world due to the mosaic effect. If developed I would consider physically making the mosaic and photographing it for the cover of my sleeve. 

4. This design represents to bold and confident nature of the song, the postmodernist design creates a loud and edgy design that also incorporates the type 'YEAH' I felt this was relevant as it was a defining feature of the audio during the first time I listened to the track.

5. Thumbnail 5's design took inspiration from the song lyric 'Im not sleeping' I created a strong illustration that shows a sleep deprived woman accompanied by the lyric 'I'm not sleeping' to anchor the image

6. This design uses an extremely minimal theme, from watching interviews and music videos by St Vincent I noticed her strong jaw line which I exaggerated for this illustration. I also added a twitter logo replacing the eye depicting how even St. Vincent herself is reliant on social media . 



7. For this design I depicted St. Vincent as a literal saint. I researched religious paintings and motifs and found that a common feature of these was a large orb surrounding the head to represent a halo, I added this to my design to convey the literal representation she is a saint.

8. I incorporated elements of the music video into design 8, There was a unique sculpture in one scene that I found really aesthetically pleasing, I used this with the paintwork of the set which included staggered white lines against a block background to create this contemporary design. 

9. Thumbnail 9 uses a decorative screen as a metaphor to shield ones real life from the life they portray on social media, as people tend to only post things that will positively represent them. I have illustrated St. Vincent behind the screen making it more relatable if she can admit to being guilty of this too. 

10. Design 10 is an abstract line illustration that represents that maze of social media I have included relevant semiotics such as a phone, message Facebook and twitter symbols surrounded with a rhythmic pattern on lines that creates an almost hypnotic effect design to depict how anyone can be transfixed by social media.

11. This design uses a Keith Haring style of illustration, the small bold illustration surrounded by lines instantly engages the audience while the speech mark provides context to the track exclaiming 'look at me' showing the dramatic need for attention. I would use a bold colour scheme similar to that of Keith Haring incorporating bright yellows and contrasting pinks. 

12. Thumbnail 12  depicts the darker connotations of the song. The image shows a black face with a range of masks displaying different emotions on the wall behind. This represents how people can be two-faced and you can only see aspects of people that they want you to see. 


13. This design takes inspiration from designer Barrie Tullett whose work I admire due to its abstract post-modern style of expressionism.  I used this this overlapping type using 'z' to represent sleeping from the lyric I'm not sleeping to create a distorted aesthetic. 

14. Design 14 uses an oversimplified illustration of a window using squares and negative space. I have made the inside purposefully simplistic so that it will look bold and eye-catching when produced visually. I will consider a colour scheme similar to that of Keith Haring's design to reinforce the bold nature of the design.

15. Thumbnail 15 shows an iPhone screen displaying no new notifications to depict as a generations how concerned we are about being seen digitally by others, St Vincent addresses this during the track by track commentary stating we need one million digital eyes watching us. 

16. This design depicts the darer side to social media with a metaphorical dark representation of social media looming over us as individuals. 

17. This thumbnail is a random selection of app icons arranged around the sleeve. I would consider pastel colours that compliment each other to create an inviting image through the use of colour. 

18. Design 18 uses appropriate semiotics for the track. The symbols itself is a variant of the an instagram symbol linking the design to social media while the heart represents our desire to be acknowledged, appreciated  and loved.


19. Design 19 is created through the instagram application demonstrating how our need to social media is so great that even the design is produced through this medium. The image of a window is reflective of the song incorporating the lyric 'give me all of your mind'. 


20. This design depicts an abstract interpretation of a digital eye using one continuous line to create an abstract design that is intriguing and will engage an audience. I think these is potential to experiment with colour and weight here to create some un-usual yet aesthetic results. 

21. Thumbnail 21 is inspired from the Mercedes Benz advertisement found in my research. I liked the bright bursts of colour and contrasted with scribbled illustration to create an abstract interpretation of the brain and how social media can impair and effect our thinking and perceptions of people. 

22. Design 22 was also inspired by the Buzzfeed article from my research who states the track depicts social media users as narcissistic zombies. I took this metaphorical interpretation quite literally with the use of a simplistic illustration depicting a zombie with social media symbols within its eyes depicting how its obsession with social media turned it into a zombie. 

23. This design focuses purely on hand rendered typography this represents the need to get away from digital type reinforcing the content of the design, the handwriting style is personal and the scribbled aesthetic creates the connotations there is little effort placed into the design and the provocative statement 'who cares' puts the song into perspective. 

24. The owl refers to the lyric of the track 'I'm not sleeping' as owls are renowned for being nocturnal and not sleeping. The scribbled background represents St. Vincents expressive hair creating multiple links with the track itself. 


25. This design depicts a digital rhythm fluctuating with a hanging man at the end this represents how a digital influence could kill us as we are so over-reliant on digital technology and other peoples opinions, this design is contextualised through people committing suicide as a result on online trolling. 

26. Design 26 is an abstract interpretation of St. Vincent, I have taken her striking features such as her strong jawline and exaggerated hair in a simple illustrated style to make the design bold and stand out. I think this design would work extremely well with the experiment of colour and line weight to create an aesthetically pleasing result. 

27. Thumbnail 27 is takes influence from the music video as one of the scenes shows people at a desk with a pen and paper. I created this illustrated graphic to highlight the lost art of letter writing as this has almost completely died out due to the increase of emails and social networking. 

28. This design is focuses on eyes, when I first watched the video I noticed St. Vincents bright vibrant eyes and wanted to develop this onto a design, it also reinforces how our eyes are always glued to screens searching for information. 

29. Design 29 is a collection of visual symbols and surtaxes found in the music video for Digital Witness, I have arranged them in a seemingly random composition which works well in creating an abstract design that relies predominantly on shape. 

30. The final design is again reflective of the music video, One of the building features this geometric pattern that used bright colour and make a bold statement, much like the song. I feel this design could be developed with the use of texture and appropriate colour scheme to make a visually engaging design. 

I am happy with the outcome of my initial ideas, I feel I have created a broad range of designs that holistically covers the range of connotations represent within the track. I will now choose a small selection of the most appropriate designs to develop into sophisticated design concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment