Saturday 28 February 2015

Studio Brief 2 - Development

Studio Brief 2 - Individual Practise - The Leeds Library Book Cover
Development

Following the feedback received in my interim critique it was established that there was great support for my first concept that was based on the ecology of Leeds Central Library however as discussed in the critique there was still a number of modifications that would improve the design. Firstly as suggested by a second year student I removed one of the boarders surrounding the text, Listening to their feedback I agree that one boarder looks more subtle and effective in creating a design that will blend subtly within the environment of the library, in retrospect I found the two boarders to be too bold in contrast to the simplicity of the exhibition space.


The second proposed development was a bi-product of explaining my concept during the critique, I showed a picture of one of the mosaic patterns I found particularly aesthetically pleasing when I conducted primary research and went to visit the Library. A number of students present within the critique expressed their interest of the yellow colour found within this image station they liked the colour and thought it could look effective juxtaposed against the green present within my original design.


I felt this was a point worth experimenting with as a number of students agreed with the initial suggestion even though I was initially doubtful if this colour palette would work. I used the colour picker in photoshop to replicate this colour but found it to be too dark, I then adjust this to a similar colour that was lighter which I felt looked more natural and contrasted the green within the design well but not too starkly. 


I felt this new colour palette worked surprisingly well despite my initial hesitations, I will present both variations to a range of students and lecturers in order to determine which colour variate they feel is most appropriate. I then added the the author and publisher to the cover design to complete the design, I incorporated the publisher logo into one of the mosaic segments as an innovative way to implement the logo subtly within the design which I feel works well. Overall I am happy with the development of this design, I will now conduct further research as to which colour variation a range of students find the most appropriate in relation to the aesthetic and content of the book before presenting my final design in the final critique which I can then prepare for screen printing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment