Monday 23 February 2015

Studio Brief 1 - Further Development

Studio Brief 1 - Design Practise, Professional Practise - Secret 7 
Further Development 

Following the feedback I received from my interim critique I responded to the suggestions made through further development of my initial concepts. I read all of the responses my 5 designs I presented in the interim critique and based on the feedback selected the 3 designs that received the most positive comments towards my set of questions, I feel these three designs are all unique and convey different interpretations of the track that I feel embody the  nature of the song. 



DESIGN 1 

I altered this design in response to feedback I received during the interim critique, firstly I decided to refine to hair, making it slightly bigger and with a sharper point to emphasise the exaggerated aesthetic of St. Vincent's hair, this makes it bigger and more striking to adhere to feedback from the critique. Another student suggested I cleaned up the scribbled lines so they are all curved however I chose not to act on this feedback as I wanted the design to look purposely abstract and scribbled, I felt if I tried to make the hair perfect it would take away from the sporadic nature of the hair style. 


Following this the other majority of critical comments regarding this design concerned the colour palette with my comments including I should have used a brighter blue for the background. I responded to this feedback agreeing with the comments people made and changed the background to a lighter blue which I feel made more impact on the overall aesthetic. I then carried on with my experimentation within the colour palette to see how different colours would affect the overall impact of the design. I found a highly luminous pink worked well at grabbing the eye.  I complemented this with the mint green similar to that work in the music video and  white hair to give the image a sense of realism as this is the actual colour of St. Vincent's hair. I then acted on further feedback which stated they felt the designs were too simple and felt I should add textures or other components the designs.




I started experimenting with these and found a gentle gradient to work the best, I incorporated the bright pink that caught my eye with a softer pastel pink as this links with the  pastel colours used within the music video. I thought this gradient worked the best as it added an extra layer to the image which I feel draws will grab the attention of an audience more than a solid block colour. I am happy with this design and feel the development made has greatly improved the overall aesthetic of the design. 




DESIGN 2 

I developed this design based on feedback from the interim critique. The first development I made was to remove the yellow outline from the components inside the window, I chose to do this as it was originally supposed to simulate a screen printed finish however as the design was supposed to look exaggerated simple and digital I felt a screen printed resolution would contrast this and felt digitally printing the outcome would work significantly better in keeping with the concept of the design. I secondly adjusted the brightness of the colour palette within the image, I felt the colours were appropriate and students generally agreed with this, I trailed a blue sun as suggested in critique feedback however I felt this simplified the image too much and felt the green added diversity to the image and also completed the pastel pink sky well. I kept the original colour scheme of yellow pink blue and green as these colours are all emphasises within the music video and create a strikingly confident aesthetic that I feel represents the tracks nature well. 




DESIGN 3 

Following on from comments I received from a tutor during a more informal critique, I adjusted the handwritten typeface used within this design, He stated that the whole lyric should use capitals as 'your' 'mind' used some lowercase characters I had not been aware of when creating the initial typography. I adjusted this by rewriting the affected words and vectorising them in illustrator. I feel this works better creating a better flow between the individual words of the lyric. 


I then had to reposition this text within the design. This was slightly more difficult as I wanted to create a similar typeface to the aesthetic of the image with an almost scribbled effect, this meant did not want the text to stand out however it was difficult to keep the text subtle yet still legible. 


Finally I responded to critique feedback that suggested the design would not stand out against a wall of vinyl record sleeves. I didn't want to add in extra components as I felt the whole image was already relatively busy and felt added components would overcomplicate the design. I experimented with changing the size of the image to try and fill the space however it looked unbalanced. I then tried re-sizing individual components and found that enlarging the size of the red paint splatter worked well in filling for of the averrable space with colour. This also intersected the rule of thirds making this component especially eye-catching drawing an audiences attention towards the design. I am happier with the developed version of this design, I feel the typography works better in relation to the image and think the enlarged red paint splatter is effective in making a more eye-catching design that will grab an audiences attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment