Tuesday 24 February 2015

Studio Brief 2 - Introduction

Studio Brief 2 - Individual Practise - The Leeds Library Book Cover
Introduction 


Design and produce an A4 two colour screen printed book cover for your given visual culture theory book to be exhibited alongside Level 05 resolutions at Leeds Library.

Your design must work as a standalone poster for the purposes of the exhibition but also as a completed jacket design including; front, back, and spine complete with blurb, publisher logos, ISBN numbers, etc. Before undertaking the design you must consider and demonstrate awareness of the constraints associated with publishing.

Interpretation of the brief;
I feel this brief is a good opportunity to develop my personal practise and a great way to put my work out into the real world due to the live context of the brief. I like the fact we are limited to two colours for the purpose of the brief as it will challenge my design and ensure colour selection is crucial to the success of my resolution. I think this brief will be engaging and interesting as many of the sample book covers shown in the briefing were dull and poorly designed, I feel this will be an opportunity to improve the aesthetic of the book through a well designed cover that truly relates to the concept.

Research plan; 
My research plan is to firstly research my assigned book to gather further information about the content, author, publisher and audience. I will then research a range of credited book cover designers to gain insight as to what makes a successful cover design. Following this I will research a range of inspiration sources relating to the context of the book, this will allow me to create a unique and engaging cover through the sources that inspired me personally. I will then formulate this research into an extensive number of initial ideas that I can present in the interim critique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment