Friday 27 February 2015

Design Principles - What is a Book - Informal Critique [2]

Design Principles
What is a book? 
Informal critique [2]



Similarly to my first informal critique I wanted to hear peoples thoughts and opinions about this design direction before I developed it across my entire publication. I asked a similar range of questions to the first informal critique I conducted. The range of students I asked all liked the typesetting with reference to the dictionary, they felt it was contemporary, appropriate and highlighted my knowledge of typesetting design. 

I then asked if they liked this concept and felt it was relevant.  I received a range of really positive responses from this with comments including 'I think thik this design is really cool, its contemporary and minimal with the text and white space then really creative with the burst of colour from the image.' another student said 'I think you've done well to balance the whole design as the big image doesn't look out of place against the subtle background.' From this I was happy that this design direction was appropriate as other students commented on the sinister hints they picked up from the design. 

I then asked them if they personally liked the design and would purchase the publication. In my last critique I found that a number of my target audience didn't like the style of my design direction personally however I found this time that it wasn't the case.  There was a much more positive reaction to this design direction with people commenting on how they liked the aesthetic and felt it was appropriate. 'It looks well designed and id consider buying it' said one student another said 'I like the simplicity of the design, its not overcomplicated, the white space works well and even the bold illustrations fit into it well which i love'. This made me more content with this design direction as clearly it was appealing to my target audence. Based on this feedback I then decided to develop this design throughout my publication as my final design concept. 

No comments:

Post a Comment