Sunday 15 February 2015

Studio Biref 1 - Research - Inspiration

Studio Brief 1 - Design Practise, Professional Practise - Secret 7 
Research - Inspiration

To gain inspiration for my album cover I decided to look at album covers that have inspired me through their use of innovative feature within the design. I thought this would give me the best inspiration of how I could interpret the track without conforming to the standardised conventions of album artwork today, looking through my own collection I can determine that most album artwork today features photography of the artist accompanied by text stating the  artist and album names. I established this would not be feasible to reproduce artwork in this style as it would violate the rules of the secret 7 brief. These limitations mean that I will have to be innovative within my design to ensure to doesn't include and of these typical features that are not allowed within the artwork to ensure the sleeve remains a secret as to which track it is designed for. 

I looked at Kanye Wests album cover for his fifth studio album 'Dark Twisted Fantasy' as I felt this album cover was unique and extremely well designed. The album cover I feel has a great composition; The red background is dramatic and eye-catching to instantly engage an audience. I love the use of the square imagery, this draws the attention of the audience into the focal point, due to its small scale the audience will be drawn towards the artwork to see close up what the picture depicts, this is a great technique to make the audience interact with the artwork making them want to pick it up and get a closer look. The focal point of the image is a painting by Condo entitled 'Ballerina' I like the use of colour within this image as it directly contrasts the red background, again making the image as a whole stand out to an audience. I feel this image works well in context as it would stand out against a busy wall of records displayed in a store. I think the gold boarder works well as a buffer between these two contrasting colours to ensure it not to stark and jarring but blends well from one aspect to another. Overall I feel the artwork is effective in sustaining an audiences attention, It is also unique in terms of its design, opting for bold block colour, illustrations and no typography instead of the generic conventions of photography and strongly advertising the artist.




I also took inspiration from the metaphor of the song, I liked how St. Vincent was subitly references a kind of brainwashing as a result of social media impacting our lifestyle. I looked at a range of brain art to see if I could interpret this metaphor in a create and innovative manner. I loved this advertising image, originally published by Mercedes-Benz, I found the image to be really engaging personally and loved the contrast between the right and left sides of the brain. Both literally as they perform different functions and visually, the right side literally bursts with colour that is engaging and extremely aesthetically pleasing. I feel as though I could develop this concept further and incorporate it into one of my designs as I like the concept of the brain literally bursting with information, activity etc. This image reflects more of a postmodernist style that could work really well visually when re-creating the album sleeve as I feel the host of bright colours and unstructured, spontaneous splashes could work well in context engaging an audience to look at this album sleeve if presented alongside 700 other designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment