Sunday 15 February 2015

Studio Brief 1 - Initial Ideas - Expressive Drawing

Studio Brief 1 - Design Practise, Professional Practise - Secret 7 
Idea Generation - Expressive Drawing

As an introduction to the brief we held an expressive drawing workshop to familiarise ourselves with tracks and also to focus on the connotations taken from the audio of tracks as opposed to the visual elements of the music video, album cover and history of the artist. I feel as this was a good task to consider different ways to interpret the tracks especially as they could not include the artist name or track title for the submission to Secret 7. For each track we were given a different mark making strategy including; drawing continuos lines, folding and only drawing circles. We were allocated between 1.5-2 minutes per drawing, we then passed our drawings to another student who repeated this process, we performed 3 cycles of this per track with each new individual interpreting the predecessors work and continuing to create a truly unique outcome. The artworks were then passed back to the original student who could use this as a basis or an initial idea that could be developed into a further concept. 

The first track was Underworld - Born Slippy, for this we were put into pairs with one holding a pen in place while the other moved the sheet to make the marks on the paper. I think this provided some really interesting results, even if we got carried away during the heavy beat of the track ripping the paper, this gave out outcome a unique quality that conceptually represented the track. 



My second track was St Vincent - Digital Witness we were told to only fold the paper, this created some strange results that personally I didn't feel I would be able to develop into a sophisticated concept however it made me think about texture when creating my initial ideas and developments. I think this could have worked better if some colour was incorporated to highlight the texture and depict the folds and creases more vividly. 


Next was Reflections by Diana Ross and the Supremes, for this track we were told we could only use words however could experiment with typography, I think this worked well as it made me listen intently and think heavily about the lyrics of the song. it also allowed me to incorporate a range of different handwriting styles from the other students working on my artwork, this created a nice effect that I think could be developed, however personally I would add come form of imagery to the image during development as I feel this would make it more engaging. 



For the Maccabees track 'GO' we were told to only use a certain shape for each sequence. firstly we were only told to draw circles, when the drawings were passes to the next student this changed to triangles followed by lines followed by dots. This created a range of unique results that I feel fitted the song well as the Maccabees sound is very natural and ambient which is reflected well by the simplistic shapes. I feel this technique could be developed with techniques such as mono printing that could give good results once the colours have started to overlap, this could create some really interesting results that are abstract like the Maccabees sound.


Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer required us to draw with our eyes closed, this made me unaware of the composition of the piece and the spatial awareness between components. I think this was the most successful outcome of the expressive drawing task as it reminded me of the work of  neo-impressionist artist Jean-Michel Basquiat, the seemingly spontaneous composition works well especially with Gabriel's track that creates very abstract connotations within the track. 




The final track was for the Chemical Brothers - Let forever be, we were allowed to actually see the music video for this track, this gave me an insight into how they portrayed themselves and their track to the public when it was first released in 1999, this was a quick reaction task as we were told to draw what we saw on screen, this meant we had to draw extremely quickly and often not look at the paper. This resulted in some abstract results that reflects the nature of the song and music video well however I am unsure how I would interpret this into a sophisticated design concept. 


I feel this task has been helpful in opening up my options and not using standardised connotations for each track, I will consider these alternative representations when creating my initial ideas and developing my designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment