Thursday 26 March 2015

Design Principles - What is a Book - Printing

Design Principles
What is a book? 
Printing

In preparation for printing I cut my large A2 sheets of Somerset stock down to A4 so that I could then manually cut this down to the A5 spreads. I also packaged my indesign fils to include all my links to the illustrations and typefaces as this would ensure they could be accessed from the print room. I had some difficulty in adjusting the size of my document as I inlaid planned to produce it with A4 spreads however due to feedback from other students and research into anthropometric data changed my design to A5 spread.  I consulted the IT technicians to help me scale down the page size however I had to manually resize the text to an appropriate point size as their method of reducing the size made the body copy too small to read easily. 

I encountered a slight problem when printing my final design in preparation for producing my final book. As when I gave James, the print technician my stock he asked me what is what and informed that that it didn't print as well as expected in the past as due to the production method of the paper the ink can sink into the paper making the colour less vibrant. I printed a copy anyway to see the result and didn't feel they were unusable I actually didn't mind the slightly less vibrant colours. 


Somerset Stock

He suggested an alternative stock that he had in the print room and I also printed a copy of my publication on this stock to compare, This printed far better as the colours were bright and eye-catching however the paper was leant more towards cream that off white which I was unsure if it worked as well as the Somerset's stock colour, Another potential issue with this stock was that it was not as high GSM so has the potential to tear during assembly. 


Print Room Alternative Stock

As I had already printed both variations of the publication I decided the best idea was to produce two books each with different stock and then when they are finished in their final form I can analyse the final outcomes and choose the most successful one as my final resolution. I will also ask a range of students which final variation they prefer before choosing my final resolution to the brief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment