Friday 24 October 2014

Studio Brief 2 - Interim Critique

OUGD403 - Visual Thinking - Vector Type
Interim Critique 

For this critique we were asked to identify which concept from Alphabet Soup we would be taking forward to produce as a full alphabet for studio brief 2, consider the limitations of producing this digitally, produce a range of letterforms from the chosen concept and to try and apply a grid to these letterforms. 

Due to the simplicity of design 9, It naturaly lends itself well to being digitally reproduced. When asked to consider the restrictions of reproducing this design on illustrator I could not think of any feasible restrictions. Personally I feel the concept will work better when produced in vector form. The straight lines and precise curves will look sharp and exact when produced digitally, producing quality that simply can not be matched. Although hand rendering this design has worked well in the initial stages of development to produce a successful outcome I feel the design will look best in vector form. This was mentioned when gathering feedback,It was suggested it will be effective when reproduced digitally.

Multiple letterforms of my chosen concept

I then looked at applying a grid to my letterforms. I found it extremely usefull earning about grid systems and how they can be applied to just about anything. Trying to apply a grid to my concept I found challenging at first however eventually devised a basic system that my concept adheres to. Although this is not my final grid it is a good start towards designing a successful grid that can apply to any letterform. To test this grid I applied it several letters and it worked successfully however it still requires refinement in order for it to be applied to every letterform. (examples found below)




In order to successfully present this information to my peers I created a small publication articulating the above information so that I did not leave out any information when presenting, I used this as an added support material, which helped me to successfully articulate all the information efficiently. 




I also created a rough concept of what a finished alphabet would look like, this helped me to visualise if the concept would be successful, it was again another extra resource that was extremely helpful when presenting to a group. Students gave me feedback such as 'I really like it' another student reiterated this saying 'I like it, really good', one student said the especially liked the 'E' and 'I' as they were inventive yet still perfectly legible. I was offered constructive criticism in the form of one student suggesting I could look at removing parts of the letterform especially from the fully formed letters such as 'R' 'S' and 'W'. This could add a new layer of meaning to my concept and is worth investigating in the development stages of this brief. It was also suggested that I could use more that one grid for the different styles of letters for example using one grid for similar letters such as 'R' 'P' 'B' and other for more rounded letters such as 'O' 'C' Q' and 'D'. I feel this would work well as it would allow me to simplify each grid and reduce confusion with a vast amount of lines on a grid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment