Thursday 16 October 2014

Studio Brief 1 - Research and Initial Sketches

OUGD403 - Alphabet Soup
Research and Initial Sketches 

In order to to gain a better understanding of how I can create a successful solution to this problem I have undertaken research into both 'Futura' and 'Empty' in order to gain a better understanding of these words. I looked at how Futura has been applied to branding and advertising, I then looked at what services these companies offer in order to determine if the typeface has any existing connotations within the branding world. I then looked at the my assigned word 'Empty' and documented a range of connotations for this word, this included; mathematical, emotional, physical, logical and technological. I have documented my research below in the hope it will help to inform my design decisions when I produce my initial sketches. 


Futura 

Empty


From these mood boards I can easily see a number of potential directions my designs could take. This resulted in a number of initial quick sketches (found below) that explore a number of different ways in which I could depict the word 'empty'. The next stage for me to take would be for me to create a range of designs that extensively cover a range of connotations of my assigned word. These will need to be completed by Friday 10th October when I will present my initial designs to a group of students and lecturers during an interim critique. 


Initial Quick Sketches

No comments:

Post a Comment