Thursday 16 October 2014

Studio Brief 1 - Introduction

Studio Brief 1 - Alphabet Soup 
Introduction 

Brief; Produce a set, series or sequence of 10 letterforms, which explore and communicate your interpretation of the word that you have selected from the randomiser. You should use the typeface you selected from Vignellis six basic typefaces within Study Task 1 as a starting point for your manipulations. 
Using your new found appreciation of the anatomy of typographic forms and the wealth of research that you have already gathered, focus on the manipulation of existing letterforms in order to solve this problem.


I am looking forward to starting this brief as I feel this task will help me to gain a deeper knowledge of typography, including how details such as weight and adding minimal details can give the typography totally new characteristics that represent my assigned word. 

My assigned word is; EMPTY the official definitions are; 


  • Containing nothing; nothing filled or occupied.



  • Lacking meaning or sincerity 

This instantly gives me connotation of minimalism, thin lines and empty spaces. I will explore the connotations of this word in a host of contexts for example literally, metaphorically, mentally and subjectively in order to create ideas that holistically represent the word (found below.)
My plan is to conduct extensive research into my chosen font; Futura and my assigned word; Empty. From this research, I will then produce a range of initial ideas of letterforms that visual communicate these two characteristics. From this I will then take part in an interim critique with students and lecturers in order to find their opinions of how well the designs work, this will also allow me to collect qualitative data that can help me to improve my designs. Following this critique I will then choose the most appropriate 10 letterforms and develop these into sophisticated concepts ready for submission on the 17th November 2014. 


Empty Connotations
Vignellis Basic Typefaces

No comments:

Post a Comment