Monday 20 October 2014

Design Principles - Visual Literacy - Type

Design Principles
Visual Literacy - Type - 13/10/14

In preparation for this session I was required to required to source 3 different typefaces which all demonstrated different feelings. I then analysed these typefaces with a group of other students exploring the connotations each typeface produced. I was then required to pick a singular letter from one of my 3 typefaces and produce a 'Lonely Hearts' advertisement   in the first person as if I had adopted the personality of the letterform stating information about the letterform and what it would be looking for in a partner (seen below). 

Lonely Hearts Advertisement

This advertisement was then pinned to a wall along with everyone else's 'Lonely Hearts' adverts. We were then asked to pick a typeface of another person that best matched what our letterform was looking for in a partner. I discussed the features of my letterform with the partner I chose from the 'Lonely Hearts' wall and as instructed created a hybrid of both of our letterforms, I feel it looked like a good hybrid as it combined distinctive features of both letterforms. 

Hybrid Letterform

For the final part of the session, I was given a word in which I had to cut out in a manner that adequately represented the word. I was given the word 'House' in a capitalised slab serif typeface. I responded to this my cutting around the letter in the shape of a standard stereotypical house. The next word I was given was also 'House' however this time it written in a script typeface, For this variation of the word I cut a square then used a craft knife and leftover yellow paper from the previous task to intricately cut a small house silhouette from the square. I feel this was appropriate as it was far more delicate and dainty than the first variation of the word so accurately represented the serif typeface. 

Visual Interpretation of Type

No comments:

Post a Comment