Thursday 25 February 2016

OUGD503 - SECRET 7" In a Day: Research

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 1/Individual Practice - Secret 7"


Secret 7" In a Day: Research 

10AM

Having completed the requirements for the Responsive module, I also wanted to take part in the secret 7" competition as I found it really engaging last year offering a great deal of creative freedom as opposed to a lot of the other briefs I have been doing this year which require largely substantial resolutions. Due to my current workload with all the other modules I decided to restrict myself to creasing a resolution in just one day. I wanted to use this brief as a bit of downtime where I could just experiment and have fun with design as opposed to thinking too deeply into it. 

I was familiar with the organisation from entering the competition last year and did a high volume of research around music artwork, I read through this research again which refreshed my memory about the style and fiction of artwork. To get me thinking about album artwork critically I did a quick analysis of some of my favourite album releases of this year. 

Bring Me The Horizon - Thats the spirit

The enigmatic nature of the artwork create huge hype surrounding its launch with a singular image doing most of the albums pre-release marketing. The advertising campaign posted poster and stickers around major cities and later the band posted the same images to its social media accounts. The questionable nature of 'what does this mean' got the better of people creating a hype of people dying to know what it all meant. The image itself is extremely simple with a strong monochrome palette that complemented the simple illustrative nature of the piece.



The Japanese House - Clean  

The calming nature of this piece works well to represents the bands ambient acoustic sound. Working as a set from their single releases the band begins to form a defined aesthetic for itself using unsaturated film photography with minimal boarders and signature vertical typography. The link between their sound and aesthetic is creatively conscious and works well appealing to the target audience of the genre, which is important to them as they are an emerging band that need to build a solid fan base. An aesthetic that is comparative with the acoustic means the target audience may stumble upon the release by accident and listen to it based on its aesthetic similarity to their preferred musical genre. 

12PM

The next stage in my research project was to identify a track to produce artwork for, I gave all the tracks a listen and quickly narrowed it down to between the chvrches track and tame impala as Im participating in this brief mostly for fun and these tracks have the highest energy that will allow me to be spontaneously creative. Looking into the background of the tracks I found both to be fairly emerging artists, eventually taking it down to a coin flip that determined I would produce my resolution for Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better.

12:30 PM

The first time watching the music video gave me a full range of inspiration. I was initially shocked by the sexual aesthetic of the video as this was not the initial reading I took from the audio was about a breakup, this still correlates to the video with a much more abstract playful narrative. I concluded I wanted to develop my concept around these sexual referenced within the video as they could result in a range of playfully engaging resolutions. I tried to research the meaning behind the song but there was little additional information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment