Thursday 25 February 2016

OUGD503 - SECRET 7" In a Day: Development - Concept 1

OUGD503 - Studio Brief 1/Individual Practice - Secret 7"


Secret 7" In a Day: Development - Concept 1



1PM 

Taking stills from the music video I started developing potential concepts that could inspire my concept. I liked the abstract ambiguity of paint falling over the blacked out silhouette which creates some great shapes and patterns within the mixture of colours contours of the body. To take the sexual narrative of the video and apply it to this still I generated the concept of buying a monkey mask as this is key iconography of the video and covering his mouth in similar paint to connote ambiguous referenced to oral sex. 


2PM 

Walked into town, Sourced Monkey mask from costume shop, already had paint at home 

3PM 

I took some high quality photographs with a DSLR camera against a white wall in my bedroom before lashing paint all around the mouth of the mask to create the desired affect.  These images looked really affective, I particularly liked the texture the paint gave the fur, making it appear matted. From this I then selected the most engaging image and began work photoshopping around the base of the mask to extend the fur over the body so that the image would look like an actual monkey. 




5pm 
I experimented with a range of brushes and filters which gave me opportunity to revisit photoshop tools that I have not used in a while as my practice has been developing towards text and illustration resolutions, so this was fun to get back onto photoshop and experiment with image manipulation. I adjusted the saturation to make the pain pop and added the provocative text 'taste me' to create a sense of intimacy between the viewer and the piece. 

I think this resolution is effective however too obvious, the monkey is a key feature within the video which may not work as well with the concept of secret 7" as it is designed to be a secret. I like the sexual concept however feel it needs to be developed more subtly through the resolution. 




No comments:

Post a Comment