Monday 1 December 2014

Studio Brief 1 - Development

Studio Brief 1 - Design Processes, Frame Shape

Development

Based on the feedback from my interim critique I started to develop my strongest idea into a developed design concept. I chose to develop the map idea as it received the best feedback from staff and other students. I started by creating a vector of my hand drawn map in illustrator to ensure the image would be of sufficient quality to experiment with. 


I then imported this vector into photoshop to experiment with different effects and filters I could apply, this was the bulk of my experimentation as I had no clear end goal but was eager to create my own unique interesting results. I started with block fill for both the background and the map however found this to be too illustrative and didn't make the most of photoshops unique features. I then experimented with adding photography to the image, I feel this worked well especially when playing around with opacity however felt the image lacked a general direction with no clear theme being visible. 



In an attempt to implement a clear theme I created another map, this time of Australia. I used the same technique of sketching the map out by hand then imported it into illustrator creating a vector before adding it to photoshop. I then used a photograph of Sydney's famous harbour including the Opera House and Harbour bridge. The image is an original photograph taken when I was on holiday so no copyright would be infringed. I feel I have successfully manipulated the image using the clone stamp tool to remove part of the boat (lower right corner) and the blend and blur tools to remove the sun flair, as well as straighten, crop and adjusting the hour/saturation. I feel there is a clearer theme to this idea, it can be used as a tourist style souvenir or just to reflect the national identity of the country, I could develop this across a range of countries using each countries landmass developed into an innovative triangle pattern juxtaposed with a manipulated image of the country. I feel this would appeal to a range of audience and could see it in a range of stores from contemporary boutiques to popular high street chains. 



No comments:

Post a Comment