Monday 1 December 2014

Studio Brief 1 - Development [1]

Studio Brief 1 - Design Processes, Frame Shape


Development [1]

When developing my initial idea I used imagery from a family holiday to Australia, this brought back memories of the time we spend there and inspired me to change my concept to resemble memories as opposed to the initial idea of maps and geography. I think this will work better as a sophisticated concept as it is more personal however can be generalised with the use of landmarks and relatively generic imagery or which I make sure they are original images. I also feel this concept will be more relatable and is more appropriate as photo frames by nature often store memories. 

From this I then thought of other memories I had especially from holidays, I then looked through my photo library for inspiration and found photos from a sixth form trip to New York, this created a lot of personal memories for me and I felt it would be a great start to work from. I looked for iconic imagery I had taken of New York and found pictures from a visit to the statue of liberty, I felt this would be a great image to use as it is instantly recognisable and stereotypical of NYC. 

I started by manipulating the image as we went in march so the weather wasn't great. Using photoshop I adjusted the bas ground using the select and fill tools to give the image a picturesque blue sky. I also used the Hue/Saturation tools to make the colours more vibrant and stand out, this was essential as my design should stand out against the other photo frames on the shelf. 
Original Image
Manipulated Image 
I then thought how I could turn this image into a creative and innovative solution to the brief and thought of using my initial map made up of abstract triangles as I liked the design and thought it worked well, it would also ensure that I used shape within my design as this was directly stated within the brief.  I then considered how memories are never complete and come back in small shards of information and snippets never remembering the full scene or story, This then lead to my decision to break the image up using the my map design to create this innovate design using the broken image showing parts of the full picture that are ultimately remembered, like a memory. 




I then further developed this concept by adding minor changes, as the triangle design was no longer used to represent a map and geographical location I added more triangles to expand the image down the full right hand side. I also added the essential text, I feel my typography choice was appropriate I have used Seravek ExtraLight as it is sleek, modern and fairly minimal much like the design of this concept. I will ask other students for feedback on this during studio development sessions however I am happy with the typographic choice. 


I am very happy with the development of this concept, I feel the design has evolved into a successful outcome to the brief, I like the modern design and abundance of negative space creative an innovative design. I feel customers could relate to the design due to the generic imagery re-interpreted in a creative manner that would sell in a range of environments from upmarket boutique stores to popular high street retailers such as Urban Outfitters. Now I have developed this concept I feel it will be relatively easy to expand this design across the other two designs needed for submission, I will look at other famous cities and memories I have that can follow this concept, I feel it will work well to produce a strong set of outcomes that work well with one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment